85% of you will agree with me on this, nothing beats a good night sleep. Literary nothing in the world. Goodnight sleep is as important as our health as eating, drinking, and breathing, yet few of us pay attention to the phenomenon of sleep. It allows our bodies to repair themselves and our brains to consolidate our memories and process information but we barely realize that and we keep on sacrificing sleep over other things such as being on Netflix all night, staying on our phones, playing games online, and etc etc. Also, It’s essential for our well being replenishes our energy stores and helps to protect our immune system. And we do know how important it is for us these days to maintain our immune systems. We are so used to the idea of staying up late, that we find it so hard to fix our sleep schedule, the whole idea makes it harder to fall and stay asleep. It was so freaking hard for me to fix mine but when it got fixed, believe me, it was the best thing I’ve ever done to myself, my body, and my mind. Well, I will share a few tips with you that I followed to drift off into a deep, quality sleep and without any counting any sheep. Know that you’ll have to follow these things consistently because if you won’t be consistent, you won’t be able to build a good night’s sleep regime.
- Improve Sleep Hygiene. Now improving sleep hygiene means adjusting the lights, noise, and temperature in the bedroom. Turn off your phone or iPad / laptops or put away anything that will get in the way of your sleep This does put an impact on putting us in the state to fall asleep. Also, changing your eating and drinking habits help a lot. Don’t eat late at night. Do not munch on snacks too. When your stomach is full, you can’t sleep. I started eating dinner at around 7 PM every day and stopped munching on snacks late at night too. This wasn’t easy. I was a lays and coke addict lol so you can imagine. Say no to munching and late dinners.
- Replace Caffeine with Chamomile or Hot Milk. Okay, so I’m someone who couldn’t give up on chai ever. I take chai before going to bed no matter what. But what I do is I’m trying to replace chai/coffee with a cup of hot milk on weekdays and have my chai on Fridays because of the weekend.
- Wind down. Winding down means that your body needs time to shift into sleep mode, so spend the last hour or at least 30 mins before bed doing any kind of calming activity or just do nothing at all but lie down and try not to overthink anything. Or some people do prefer reading a book before hitting the bed.
- A routine before bed. The most important one is being prepared or having a proper routine. It helps signal to your brain. It is as simple as just be the usual things like brushing your teeth, getting into PJs, washing your face, doing your skincare regime, etc.
- Take a bath. This is something I do when I’m unable to sleep. I take a long relaxing bath and it helps me put myself to sleep very easily. Because I believe a warm bath helps my body reach a certain temperature that’s ideal for rest and helps get a goodnight’s sleep. Somehow.
- Limit your water intake before bed. Don’t drink too much water before going to bed because it will make you get up in the middle of the night to pee which sure disturbs your sleep.
Goodnight sleep will help you being content, energized, connected, and have a balanced life and this is what well being is. You know a state of general contentment with life and the way everything is around. Poor lifestyle causes us pain, don’t let us stay connected, makes us stressed or overweight. We feel disconnected from others all the time or stuck in a routine that holds no meaning basically. We are dissatisfied with our daily lives and when we are not satisfied, we live in worry.
So, we can totally fix our sleep routine and can enhance our wellbeing and achieve a state of balance and contentment in life. We can win if we stay consistent. Little by little. Also, I did share how I fixed my morning routine here, just in case you haven’t checked. LEMME KNOW IF YOU WANNA JOIN THE SLEEPING EARLY CLAN <3 Let’s practice together and make our lives better & healthier. Comment below or You can always find me here!